I have seen many people panic as soon as their doctor tell them that they are in the risk zone for heart attack or other heart ailments. However many of them are not aware that heart health can be improved if they improve their diet. Which means consuming less saturated fats, fries and consuming more fiber rich foods. Not sure why most people are not able to follow such easy recommendation. Here are some fiber rich delicious snacks which can help you to improve your heart health.
1. Whole Grain Snack Bars – Whole grains are essential to heart health, as they provide the body with dietary fiber, which has been shown in studies to help lower cholesterol levels. Snack bars that contain whole grains like oatmeal, buckwheat, barley, brown rice and flax are a simple way to get one or more servings of grains during your day. Look for a bar with 200 calories per serving or less. Read the labels, choosing varieties with no chemical additives or added sugar.
2. Nuts and Seeds – Nuts and seeds are rich in omega-3 fatty acid, an essential fatty acid that is important for fighting inflammation and promoting a healthy cardiovascular system. Many adults are deficient of omega-3 fatty acid, making nuts and seeds smart heart-healthy snacks. Make sure that you select a variety that is low in sodium and stick to one serving to avoid consuming excess fat and calories.
3. Fresh Berries – Raspberries, blackberries, blueberries and strawberries are rich in an array of nutrients, including antioxidants, which scientists believe may help to reduce inflammation and protect the cardiovascular system from free radical damage. You can enjoy your berries raw, with plain nonfat Greek yogurt or mixed with skim milk and ice in the blender to make a smoothie.
4. Guacamole – Avocado contains heart-healthy fats and is rich in potassium, a mineral needed to help the body properly regulate blood volume and promote healthy blood pressure levels. Make your own guacamole by mashing avocado with tomatoes, onions and cilantro. Add chili powder, cumin and fresh lime juice and then dip low-sodium whole-wheat crackers or fresh veggies in your homemade guac for a great snack.
5. Hummus – Hummus is a Mediterranean dip made from chickpeas and tahini, a paste produced from ground sesame seeds. As a snack, hummus treats your body to many essential nutrients, including folate, which helps to fight inflammation of the blood vessels. Dip crunchy raw vegetables like carrots, celery and broccoli in a low-sodium, store-bought, all-natural hummus, or you can make your own by blending tahini and garbanzo beans in a food processor.To find out more about improving your diet to promote a healthy heart, talk to your doctor for advice. He or she can provide you with dietary guidelines to help you ensure that you treat your heart to all of the essential nutrients that it needs to thrive.
Source – http://beautyresearch.com/blogs/beauty-research/archive/2014/07/08/5-delicious-heart-healthy-snacks.aspx