Chia seeds are originally from South and Central America and these have been consumed by the ancient Aztec and Maya empires for very long time. These seeds have been source of protein, energy and fiber for the people of these region for thousands of years. In recent years people from other continents and regions have recognized the benefits of Chia seeds and have started eating them more and more. If you are a fan of eating healthy seeds you can find more information here.
Food Value in Chia Seeds
In the last article we saw how good coconuts are and why there are considered as super food. If we compare Chia seeds we find that they are also great source of various various minerals and vitamins. Chia seeds contain eight different minerals including Calcium, Magnesium and Phosphorus in significant quantities and seven vitamins in various quantities.
They also significant source of fats and carbohydrates. Chia seeds contain all three types of fats including monounsaturated, polyunsaturated and saturated fats. Which means Chia seeds can be a great source of healthy fats.
How Much Fiber is Present in Chia
Chia seeds contain 34.4 grams of fiber per 100 grams of weight which is really a huge source. As we keep emphasizing on this site that fibers are great and must for maintaining good health. Fibers make sure that we have a clean bowel movements, reduce the bad cholesterol and improve heart health. They are also beneficial for people who suffer from high blood sugar levels.
How To have Chia Seeds
Most seeds can be easily consumed by adding to milk shakes or smoothies. That way it thickens the shakes and can be easily consumed. I have taken several seeds in smoothies by adding any seeds like flax or sunflower or chia in milk and banana and making a shake in the mixer. You can also make a paste and add to any gravy to thicken it and increase the taste of any curry.
Health Benefits of Chia Seeds
Chia seeds are one of the healthiest seeds on the planet. The benefits range from providing energy and fiber to helping those who suffer from diabetes. Here are some of the benefits of Chia seeds which are mentioned in more details at http://authoritynutrition.com/11-proven-health-benefits-of-chia-seeds/
1. Chia Seeds Deliver a Massive Amount of Nutrients With Very Few Calories
2. Chia Seeds Are Loaded With Antioxidants
3. Almost All The Carbs in Them Are Fiber
4. Chia Seeds Are High in Quality Protein
5. Due to The High Fiber and Protein Content, Chia Seeds Should be Able to Help You Lose Weight
6. Chia Seeds Are High in Omega-3 Fatty Acids
7. Chia Seeds May Improve Certain Blood Markers, Which Should Lower The Risk of Heart Disease and Type 2 Diabetes
8. They Are High in Many Important Bone Nutrients
9. Chia Seeds Can Cause Major Improvements in Type 2 Diabetics
10. Chia Seeds Can Improve Exercise Performance as Much as a Sports Drink
11. Chia Seeds Are Easy to Incorporate Into Your Diet