Both Konsyl and Metamucil are a derivative of psyllium seed husks. Psyllium is a highly rich source of natural fiber, both soluble and insoluble. Psyllium absorbs water in the bowels, bulks up the stool and makes it easy to pass them. It also absorbs some highly damaging stuff to our body, keeping us healthy. Two of this psyllium fiber supplements are Konsyl and Metamucil.
Konsyl is primarily for people who have constipation. Therefore it is known as a bulk-forming laxative. Konsyl fiber supplements come in different kinds. These are:
* All natural- “Konsyl Natural Fiber Supplements and Products do not contain any hormones, antibiotics, sweeteners, food colors, or flavorings that were not in the original ingredients.”
* Gluten Free- “Gluten is the protein part of wheat, rye, barley and other related grains. Some people cannot tolerate gluten when it comes in contact with the small intestine. This condition is known as celiac disease. People who have celiac disease should eat foods and take supplements that are gluten free, such as these high quality gluten free fiber supplements.”
* Sugar Free- “All Konsyl Sugar Free fiber products are safe for use by people with diabetes or those wishing to eliminate/reduce sugar from their dietary intake.”
Besides powdered product, Konsyl is also available in capsules and in orange flavor.
Metamucil is also a fiber supplement. Like Konsyl, it is a bulk-forming laxative. It has a history of 80 years and running. These come in four types:
* Capsules- “Fit more fiber into your daily routine with Metamucil Multihealth Fiber Capsules, containing 100% natural psyllium fiber. Look for these convenient capsules in two varieties, with and without calcium, in the fiber supplement aisle where you shop.”
* Fiber Singles- “Portable and ready to mix, Metamucil Fiber Singles are the perfect way to get fiber on the go, helping to lower cholesterol to promote heart health and help maintain healthy blood sugar levels as part of your diet.”
* MultiGrain Wafers- “The great-tasting, easy way to get the natural fiber your body needs. Metamucil MultiGrain Wafers offer some of the benefits of the natural psyllium fiber in Metamucil in a crispy wafer form. Enjoy Metamucil MultiGrain Wafers in delicious Apple Crisp or Cinnamon Spice.”
* Supplement Powder- these come in different flavors. Metamucil Smooth Texture Fiber has 5 types-
1. Orange Smooth
2. Sugar Free Orange Smooth
3. Sugar Free Pink Lemonade Smooth
4. Sugar Free Berry Smooth
5. Sugar Free Original Smooth
Metamucil Coarse Milled Fiber has 2 types-
1. Orange Coarse
2. Original Coarse
There have been controversies over which supplement is better for a long time. Konsyl does not have all of the sugar or artificial flavors that Metamucil has. But some consumers have found Metamucil to taste much better than Konsyl. It all comes down to which one suits the consumers body, therefore consulting a physician is advisable before starting any one of these.