Many people cannot stand the taste of Psyllium. They find it too bland and not being used to the taste (or lack of it) cannot take it. That is why they buy metamucil which contains Psyllium as its main ingredient. In an interesting twist here is a healthy and tastier way to make Psyllium more palatable but with healthier ingredients. For example in Metamucil you will find sugar, but you can substitute Sugar with Stevia. Read on to find out how you can make Psyllium tastier so that you can eat it at home…
I don’t like psyllium. Never did, never will. When it’s dissolved into water, juice, smoothies, etc it turns into this disgusting gel-like goo. Not to mention, it clumps up and feels like you’re swallowing that bubble tea that everyone seems to like (except me, of course… I’m the pickiest eater of all)
I guess that’s why companies make psyllium more palatable by adding quite a few other ingredients (i.e. refined white sugar, aspartame, artificial food flavorings, artificial food colorings and preservatives). Yuck.
But not this healthy homemade version. This all-natural recipe is zero-calorie, fat free, low carb, gluten free and vegan. This DIY psyllium fiber supplement dissolves just as easily as the storebought stuff and isn’t spit up-inducing like psyllium powder alone (sorry for the graphic language, but it’s true… swallowing chunks of psyllium goo is just plain old
Healthy Homemade Psyllium Fiber Supplement (aka Metamucil)
Prep Time: 2 minutes
Cook Time: 1 minute
Total Time: 3 minutes
Yield: ~8.5 cups
Calories per serving: 0
Fat per serving: 0g
- one 24oz bag Psyllium Husk Powder
- 4 cups Stevia in the Raw (other sweeteners will work, such as erythritol, xylitol, coconut sugar, sucanat, date sugar, pure maple sugar, etc… just read the note below**)
- In a very large bowl, whisk together the two ingredients.
- Pour into jars and store in a cool, dark place.
- To use, sprinkle 1 tsp of the mixture into a shaker cup along with about 1/4 cup of liquid. Shake vigorously, then add 1 cup more liquid. Enjoy!
- If you let the drink sit in the fridge it WILL thicken… so just add more liquid if you don’t like it like that
**If using granulated sweeteners, which won’t dissolve that well into drinks, add all the ingredients to a large blender or food processor and process until powdery. To skip this step, just use pre-powdered sweeteners like powdered erythritol, powdered xylitol, powdered coconut sugar, etc.
Serving suggestion: 1 tsp – 1 tbs
Make sure to drink lots of water when taking a psyllium fiber supplement. Always ask your doctor if fiber supplements are safe for you to consume. Every body is different, and your body is your temple. Take care of it and love it unconditionally
Article Source – http://dessertswithbenefits.com/healthy-homemade-psyllium-fiber-supplement/