Did you know that 1 gm of fiber extracts almost 7 calories from your body? Probably not. Adding fiber-enriched food to your menu will help cut those extra fats all over your body, but will not leave you hungry and lethargic.
Even though your primary focus is losing weight, the ingested fiber does not stop at just that. Fiber helps keep cancer, heart troubles, diabetes and high blood pressure out of your medical chart. Here we have 5 best high fiber foods to make you light on your feet again.
1. An apple a day keeps the doctor away. Well, apples also keep body fat away. One medium sized apple consists about 4 to 5 gm of fiber. Instead of making juice out of it, munch it down. That way the mouth gets some exercise and the body gets more fiber. If you still want liquid, make nectar. One apple every morning will make your day even lighter.
2. Sweet potatoes have more fiber than white potato. One average size sweet potato contains 4 gm of fiber. Bake it whole to get maximum nutrition. One little cup of sweet potato has 5-6 gm of fiber. While you are cooking, make sure you cook with the peel on. The peel alone has 20% of the total fiber in that potato.
3. Switch to brown rice and brown bread for meals. One sandwich made of brown bread has 4 gm worth of fiber, so does one cup of brown rice. Refined whites have almost no fiber compared to wild browns. If you do not like whole grains, you can always go for rye bread. Try whole wheat pastas as well.
4. Green beans are rich in fiber. There’s a wide variety to choose from so you will never be bored with your food. Chick peas, pinto beans, black beans, green peas, baked beans, split peas, lima beans, kidney beans, lentils, navy beans are all fiber rich beans. A bean and carrot salad will provide you with almost 35% of your daily fiber requirement.
5. Berries – For dessert, make pies from various kinds of berries instead of cake. You might want to make the crust with almonds in it, since those are rich in fiber too. One small cup of raspberries contains as much as 8 gm of fiber, same amount of strawberries have 3 gm. There are also blackberries and blueberries on the list, so take your pick and start baking!
The doom of every dieter is hunger, and fiber enriched foods keep you full for a longer time than other foods do. Not only that, fiber soaks up the fat, carbs and calories that sneak into your stomach. The best part is, you can easily fit the diet into your daily groceries with some slight adjustments. Make the change!