I keep on advocating more fiber intake as there are so many benefits of fiber. Fiber in itself may not be containing any nutrition since it is not absorbed and digested by our body, but it acts as a catalyst in improving our health and well being. In the last article itself we saw how fiber can help you improve your condition if you are suffering from inflammatory arthritis. Apart from this condition there are many other conditions where eating more fiber rich foods can help you improve your health condition.
Common Complaint Again Fiber Rich Foods
Fiber is present only in plant based foods and it cannot be obtained from animal products or meats. You might be thinking – “If I eat more plant based foods, I will miss out on protein. After all meats are the major source of protein.” This is a very common reasons meat eaters do not want to leave eating meat and then they end up eating less amount of plant based foods. This means that they usually are eating fiber deficient foods.
However this is the correct approach to getting your nutrition according to US Department of Agriculture. It says that you should get 14 grams of fiber per 1000 calories of food intake. This means that you need to take adequate amount of fiber to stay healthy which means taking more plant based foods.
Ok, so you are now little convinced about taking more fiber. “But, what about the protein?”, You may ask. After all protein is one of the reasons most people eat more meat. Well, the good news is there are lot of options to get more protein also in fiber rich foods. I will introduce you to foods which contain both protein as well as fiber. If you eat these foods, not only will you be able to get fiber, you will also be able to get great amount of protein. Which means it can reduce your dependency on meat. So here are some foods with fiber and protein.
Foods with Protein and Fiber
1. Sesame Seeds. Sesame seeds are small seeds which are store house of various nutrients. They contain awesome quantity of protein and fiber which is 17 grams each for 100 grams of weight of the seeds. Which means around 35% of the weight of the seeds is these two nutrients. When you take into account the other nutrients you would not want to miss out on these little seeds. You can get more information on these seeds here.
2. Sunflower Seeds. Sunflowers are bright colored flowers and grown all over the world now a days mainly for extracting oil from them. Sunflower seeds are great snack option since it is rich source of various nutrients and minerals. The amount of fiber is around 9 grams and protein is around 20 grams in 100 grams of these seeds. You can roast these seeds and keep on snacking on them. You could also use a blender and make some smoothies which contains these seeds. Some of the minerals in this seeds are Magnesium and Calcium. In case you need more convincing reason to consume more sunflower seeds this article should be able to convince you.
3.Kidney Beans. Kidney beans are one of the most popular beans all over the world and they are almost a must in many of the Latin american recipes. The reason they are so popular and staple food of millions is the because of the nutrition value they provide along with the taste. Most of the recipes require kidney beans to be soaked overnight and then boiled so that they can be easily cooked and eaten. Kidney beans contain around 25 grams of protein and 15 grams of fiber for 100 grams in weight. Many vegetarians who want to go into fitness routine prefer kidney beans for getting nourishment and strength.
4. Flax Seeds. If you are looking for one of the cheapest options for protein, nutrient and fiber rich food, flax should be somewhere on the top of that list. Flax has been used for thousands of years by humans. In fact some researchers say that they have found the evidences of it being used for 35000 years back in the current Georgia. Coming to the protein content, it contains more than 18 grams, and fiber content is more than 27 grams in 100 grams of these seeds. No wonder these seeds are considered so healthy. There are so many different smoothies you can make with flax easily which makes them easy to consume. Here are some tips on how to consume flax seeds.
5. Peanuts. Peanuts are very popular snack and often roasted and consumed which makes it crunchy. They are one of the best protein and fiber source. They contain around 9 grams of fiber and 25 grams of protein per 100 grams which makes them super healthy food. One of the ways to consume peanut is peanut butter which uses peanut as the main ingredients. It can be spread on bread and consumed. However you should avoid peanuts if you are allergic to them.
6. Chia Seeds. Chia seeds contain around 35 grams of fiber and more than 16 grams of protein in 100 grams of the seeds. This combination is one of the highest ration of protein and fiber. When you consider the other nutrients such as Vitamins, Fatty acids these become one of the must haves for vegetarians.
7. Lima Beans. Lima beans are very popular variety of beans and also knows as butter beans for their texture. These beans have been used in Americas for thousand years and get their name since they were first exported to Europe from Lima in Peru. Fiber content – 7 grams and protein content is 7.8 grams per 100 grams.
8. Almonds. Almonds are grown all over the world for their food value and recommended by many nutritionists for their healing and healthy enhancing properties. For example, did you know almonds help in reducing bad cholesterol and improving good cholesterol levels. They are also a massive source of monounsaturated fats which are considered to be the good fat. Almonds contain around 21 grams of protein and 12 grams of fiber per 100 grams in weight which makes them idea snack and food option.
Although there are some of the top options when it comes to fiber and protein source, you should not bother too much about consuming only these foods. You can increase the quantity of these foods but at the same time eat mixture of various other foods also so that you can get maximum amount of protein, vitamins, fatty acids and fiber which can nourish you and help you maintain great health.
US Department of Agriculture – Dietary Fiber – http://fnic.nal.usda.gov/food-composition/macronutrients/fiber
Wiki – Almonds – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almond